Thursday, February 17, 2011

A tea party in April

not vintage but gorgeous
I have decided to host a tea party for my friends in April.  I must be going through one of those stages where I have to do something and there is nothing stopping me.  I get kind of, how do we say - obsessed. 

In the past few weeks I have been buying pretty vintage crockery on ebay.  It has been a lot of fun, and the things I have bought are very pretty and not overly expensive either.  It is probably going to cost me a couple of hundred dollars to buy, but once I have them it is for life.  Unless the obsession continues, and I keep buying. 

Jamie has stressed to not buy too much because our house is so small.  So I have decided that I am just going to buy enough to host a dozen friends and use some on a daily basis.  If it gets broken it does not matter because there is no point having it unless you are going to use it.


royal albert - old country roses
  So far i have bought:
  • small pin plates - $5
  • two tier cake stand with pink flowers - not vintage but gorgeous only $25
  • two trios of Royal Albert cups in old country roses style - $16 bargain!
  • six trios of Royal Vale cups with pink and yellow roses - $37
  • trio of Queen Anne cup with pink roses - only cost $10
  • a sandwich plate with flowers - vintage only cost $10
  • sandlands ware creamer and sugar bowl - $7
I paid postage on all of these items too, so that would have been another $60 on tops of this.  So all-in-all, pretty cheap so far especially considering they are antiques.  As you can probably notice I have a running theme with pink, red, yellow and blue flowers and some gold trim along the edge.

old foley james kent sandwich plate
I still have side plates to find, probably something around the 50 to 60 year age mark and have found some on ebay so just waiting for bids to be finalised.  There are some Prince Albert side plates that I really love so wish me luck. 

I am really keen to make the most of our afternoon so have done some research about proper tea etiquette too.  If I can I will follow that, but it is a little over the top like putting your tea saucer on your lap if your not sitting at a table.  Can you imagine trying to do that with our crazy kids running around the place. I am not sure if the kids are coming yet, but will organise food for them too if they come.

So to start with I have to plan the party.  I'm finding a day that suits the girls for next month in April.  I am planning to invite 12 girls my best buddies.  Renae is going to design and print the invitations too the gem she is.  All of the crockery will be purchased by then.

royal vale - blue flowers
The menu will be small sandwiches, scones, cakes, sweets and mainly finger foods like mayonnaise chicken and pine nut sandwiches, cucumber and mint sandwiches, mini chocolate eclairs, madeira and dundee cake.   A selection of teas and champagne will be served too. 

I have found some lovely recipes on this website:  http://www.gourmet-food-revolution.com/afternoon-tea-party.html#top2  There is a way you need to set up the food on the table and cakes/scones are served before sandwiches and then sweets which I thought was really odd.

I know how to make tea and I have collected tips on how to serve tea but that should not be too hard.  I am also going to serve champagne in the old wide rim champagne glasses that were once used by Jamie's grandparents (may they rest in peace). 

Royal Vale - pretty roses
That just leaves the actual etiquette on the day.  I have asked the girls to get dressed up vintage too so that should be fun in furs, lace, gloves, dresses, hats etc although the etiquette says to dress casually but I want to dress like we are in the older days.  That will be hilarious and fun too.

I am really looking forward to the tea party in April!!

No comments:

Post a Comment