Sunday, February 27, 2011

History through china - traditions both new and old


my new teapot
 My new china my 'little treasures to cherish' gave me the opporunity to talk with their owner, Dianne.  The start of this story was on my blog History through china - little treasures to cherish

She responded to my email, a beautiful story that has inspired as she reflected upon her life and its traditions both new and old. 

At the bottom of the page is my email.  Hers at the top, as I wanted her story to be the focus of this blog.  I am so thrilled that she shared some of this life experience with me. 

Through fine china, women have often bonded by getting together to enjoy a cup of tea with scones and cakes.  These traditions have been formed through these connections.  Similarly, my friends and I like to paint pictures on canvas together, like women used to sit around doing needle work. Another tradition formed by women.

These are Dianne's lovely words:

Cherie , How lovely.

I am glad your grandmother is happy in the nursing home. It is such a hard thing for the family to do. Having faithfully promised never to do this to my mother, when, at 96, she could no longer walk, it becaue a "no choice" situation as I am only 4'10" tall and one week of lifting her from the bed to the wheelchair I had hired, etc., proved I was not as strong as I used to be. Fortunately, I do not think she was really aware of what was happening. Nevertheless, guilt, guilt, guilt!

However, during the 12 months or so she was there, fortunately very close to my home, I became quite friendly with other more compis mentis residents and we used to have afternoon tea outside using my grandmother's and mother's tea sets, cloths, napkins and silver.


A couple of staff members decided to continue this practice, having special weekly afternoon teas. I and family members of other residents donated china, linen and silver and I believe it is a much enjoyed event.

I have not just kept the "valuable" pieces belonging to family members, but rather things that I remember were important to them or that they used regularly. I would never serve trifle in anything other than "Nanna's trifle set". It is only cut glass from the 1930s and of very little value I should think, but for me it means Sunday tea at my grandparents' house.


I use her 1930s Alfred Meakin second best dinner service every day and I love it. Ebay allowed me to bring it back to full complement. She might not be happy with me using it as a "kitchen service" but it is my favourite, so why not.

I'm afraid her Rosa "kitchen service" did not survive the 1966 cull when we moved. I was relatively newly married with bright shiny wedding presents. Mind you, I do not regret donating it to charity. It was not that wonderful and there must have been a million of them around. They became standard town hall and Sunday school hall crockery after the demise of the glass sets that once were the norm in these places.


So, enjoy your afternoon tea and your little crinoline lady butter dish.


Dianne
 
 
My response to History through china part 1:
 
Hi Dianne
 
I also to let you know the reason why I bought these pin dishes. Recently my grandmother 92 years was put into a nursing home. She is very happy there now thank goodness. 
 
We had to decided what to do with all of her belongings, a life time of belongs. Some of them went to family and the rest were donated to charity or given away to strangers. It was quite a stressful experience especially for my aunt and uncle. But they are all okay now, they managed to get through it fine. 
 
So a few weeks ago I visited them in Mt Gambier. My aunt, mum and I were going through the last of my nan's boxes when I came across a small shell dish. It was totally covered in dust and didnt look like anything special. But I decided to keep it for tea bags and also it was my nans so it would be cherished. 
 
When I got home I noticed it had the Sandlands stamp on the bottom, did a search on the internet to find it was In an olde world garden with a crinoline lady walking in the garden near a bridge and that it was a collectable. How lovely. 
 
This started my desire to collect some more and to host a tea party with my best friends to enjoy of these vintage things. So since then I now have all of the pretty things for a tea party, and a few pin dishes too. They are all displayed in my china cabinet and will be cherished. 
 
Thank you so much for your story, I really enjoyed it. 
 
Best wishes 
Cherie

No comments:

Post a Comment