Thursday, February 10, 2011

Gone vintage

After discovering a gift from my grandmother is vintage, I have been overwhelmed with the desire to get more precious vintage fine bone china crockery.

In an olde world garden
My little treasure is a small shell shaped plate about 7 centimetres wide with a hand painted picture of a lady walking near a bridge in a garden. In an olde world garden is written on it.  How quaint.  Finding this is a vintage treasure has been quite a surprise.  I will not be putting used tea bags on it anymore.

I searched the internet to find the plate was a collectable.  Its brand Lancaster Sandlands Ware was manufactured between 1930 to 1969 in Lancaster County England.  People actually collect whole sets and love it.  My plate is not worth any great amount of money but it is lovely and old. I am guessing but it could be 50 to 60 years old.  It has given me the desire to start collecting old vintage crockery like cup and saucer sets, tea pots, cake stands, etc particularly Royal Vale, Royal Albert, Keele etc.  Eventually I will have my own collection of old goodies. 

Creamer and sugar bowl
Ebay is a great place to buy this type of stuff.  I found a gorgeous set of Lancaster Sandlands creamer and sugar bowl with a crocheted flower print. Luckily I won the auction.  Bargain $7. When I received them I was so excited and stood there admiring their prettiness and then put them in the china cabinet for safe keeping from my three year old and 11 month old boys.  They would have a smashing time with them.  I am not sure if anyone else shares my enthusiam but I am loving these pretties and I cannot wait to use and admire them.

I have also bought a pair of Royal Albert cup and saucer set $16, some small pin plates of various branding (german, english and australian) and a Queen Anne cup and saucer set.   Mum would be pleased with the Queen Anne set.  This is the beginning of a collection of vintage pretties.

Keele butter dish - fairies live here
My Mum's butter dish which is Keele brand is in the china cabinet at my place.   It is vintage so I'm planning to get a matching set of the teapot, creamer and sugar bowl.  How gorgeous. These are rare in Australia.  It is a really cute set. The butter dish is a little English house that sits on a plate.   Mum told me that when she was a little girl she thought the fairies lived it it. 

I am very excited about being materialistic but imagine sitting outside in my beautiful garden with my girlfriends having cups of tea, small  cakes and sandwiches with gorgeous shabby sheek fine bone china.  It will be lovely.

To read more about 18th to 19th century crockery see http://www.ehow.com/about_5445983_history-crockery.html

No comments:

Post a Comment