Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Reality of life - RIP Auntie Betty Staveley

L to R: Verna, Eva, Estel, Lorna, Betty, Melba and Beryl
My Auntie Betty passed away on Monday 4 April.  She had been suffering from cancer for about two years so the poor dear could not take it anymore.  It was a tragedy to see her go that way and so awful for the family too. 

I saw her on the Thursday before that, and it was very upsetting to see her like that but at least I saw her.  I kept wanting to go back and be with her but it was time for the direct family now.  I told her I loved her, and she told me she loved me and we had that moment to say goodbye.  It was really hard.  I will honestly miss her very much, we had spent quite a lot of time talking about old stories and she had given me good advice.  She was a strong and beautiful lady.  She always said to me that she would be with Bill again, her husband in heaven one day too.  The service was amazing, and it perfectly showed us the beautiful lady she was.

At the funeral her son-in-law Terry told the wonderful story how Betty and Bill had met in the war years.  In WWII the girls would make socks and fruit cakes to send to the boys at war.  It was called the comfort fund and the girls would put their names inside the parcel if the men wanted to write back.  So Bill Staveley had received the parcel from Betty Lindstrom, and was surprised that a his friend Bill Lindstrom was in his battalion.  So he asked Bill Lindstrom if he knew Betty Lindstrom and to their amazement it was Bill Lindstroms little sister.  So Bill Staveley and Betty wrote to each other throughout the war years and were married.  What an amazing story and it was so lovely that it was shared to us.

Auntie Betty had already told me this story before, but I was so pleased to hear it at the funeral. 

It is really hard to believe when someone has passed away.  It is just weird and a reality check too.  Just last month poor Graham Peacock died 41 years.  That was a huge shock for our friends because he was so young, and a man at work Matt Gurn died a few days ago 51 from cancer.  I will always remember the ones that passed away so young, who left behind loved ones especially those with small children.  It is like they were unlucky not to live to old age. 

I feel so lucky that I have my beautiful Nanna who is 92 years old.  Our family is so blessed.  She is the last one in her own family of seven sisters and two brothers. Although we are all lucky in our family because they all lived into old age.  It makes me think of my dear Pop Jenkins who was 65 years when he passed and his grandchildren were less than five years old.  The times we have missed with him. 

Anyway, do not want to get all morbid but the past few weeks have really made me look at things differently and I really want to enjoy my time with friends and family all of the time.  Make the most of it hey!  xx

No comments:

Post a Comment