Thursday, April 21, 2011

Owers Newman family history

Mrs W Owers
Today I am very excited to find the obituary of my great x3 Grandmother Mrs W Owers.  I still have not got her first name as I will need to research this at Genealogy society but I am happy about this find because it provides me with a comprehensive story of her life in Burra and leads back to England.  I knew that my Mayo ancestors were from Burra but had nothing on the Owers side, infact I did not know anything about that side of the family.

My greatx3 grandmother, Mrs W Owers was born in Kent, England, on August 8th, 1838 and with her parents, Mr and. Mr George Newman, came to Australia it 1848 in the ship California. The family came direct to Burra where Mr Newman with the Burra Burra Mining Co.   He however, died six weeks after his arrival here. 

This is amazing to find the next woman in my maternal linage.  I am so happy, and I remember Nanna saying that Grandmother was from Kent but could never work out which one!

In May, Burra will be holding quite a few interesting events as part of the About Time Festival so I will definitely register for some of them especially the Family history event.  Also, I will have to catch up with my Burra cousin's at the same time.  

For the whole story about Mrs W Owers obituary see the Trove National Libraries Australia website The Burra Record Wednesday Dec 6th 1922

Thank you Trove I love you.

For your information, my maternal lineage
  • Estel Lindstrom - b 1918 Quorn etc, Smith field, Port Adelaide
  • Alice Mayo/Lindstrom - b 1888 Pattupa, Beltana, Wonika creek, Beltana, Hawker, Smithfield, Port Adelaide, North Adelaide
  • Mary Owers/Mayo - b 1857 Burra, Laura, Pattupa, Beltana, Wonika creek, Hawker, Port Augusta
  • ? Newman/Owers - b 1838 Kent England, Burra
  • ? ? /Newman - b?

No comments:

Post a Comment